A common misconception about plastic surgery worldwide is that more women go under the knife. But that’s far from the truth. Men choose to go for more plastic surgical procedures to augment their looks. The statistics around this topic are startling. Men account for 80% of appearance enhancement procedures. In 2022, around 1.3 million men all around the world had undertaken a plastic surgical procedure and the same trend is repeated, with more men opting for surgery for look enhancement. India ranks fourth in the world in terms of plastic surgery numbers.
Men pay more attention to the way they look
Due to the advent of social media, everybody wants picture-perfect looks. With advances in medical science, there are ways to improve the aesthetics of appearance. If it helps somebody to look fit and young, then why shouldn’t they opt for plastic surgery?
From the perspective of a cosmetic surgery procedure, men’s appearance goals could range from a facial procedure to a reduction of bust or waistline as per their requirements. Plastic surgeons consider body type, skin thickness, and facial hair before prescribing surgery.
The most common male cosmetic procedures usually are:
A neck lift surgery is a popular cosmetic procedure for tightening the hanging skin under the neck. It is performed on the skin of your neck by sculpting the neck to fix the double chin. It is also helpful for redefining the jawline. After getting this procedure done, it gives a younger appearance to the person undertaking the effect. The enhancement procedure has a dramatic outcome most of the time. Sometimes, non-invasive methods like Ultherapy could also be used for this procedure.
Surgery cost: ₹70,000 – ₹1,00,000
- Bruising after the operation
- Skin bleeding or haematoma
- Anaesthetic reaction
- Thick scarring
Chin augmentation is performed to alter the core facial structure to balance the shape of the face. It helps maintain the proportion of facial elements. To achieve this objective, either Mentoplasty or Genioplasty is used. The former refers to the reduction and the latter to the addition of the patient’s chin material.
Surgery cost: ₹80,000 – ₹1,00,000.
- Stretched and sensation of tightness in the same region after the chin surgery. Takes around a week for this sensation to subside.
- After six weeks approximately, most of the swelling will disappear
- Burning or prickling sensation
- Erosion of your chin bone
- Hair loss in the area close to the incision
- Implant extrusion
Gynecomastia (male breast reduction)
Gynecomastia occurs due to increased breast gland tissue mass in boys and men. An oestrogen and testosterone imbalance in the body causes it. It results in the male breasts appearing swollen akin to female breasts. This condition can show an even or uneven effect on both breasts.
Surgery cost: ₹40,000 – ₹80,000.
- 7-14 days recovery period
- Soreness in the operated area, especially in the region around the nipples
- Bruising and visible scarring
- Bleeding and fluid collections
- Contour irregularities, loose breast skin, and asymmetries
- Loss of nipple skin and numbness in the nipples. Or you could also experience inverted nipples
In this procedure, silicone implants are added under the penis to give it a longer and wider appearance. It is one of the procedures that help to eliminate flaccidity in the male genital region.
Surgery cost: ₹1,00,000 – ₹2,50,000.
- 7-14 days recovery period
- Swelling and itching in the genital region
- Refractory erectile dysfunction.
- Infection, implant malfunction, and bleeding/hematoma
Conventionally, hair transplant is considered to be a part of plastic surgery. But due to its popularity as a standalone procedure, it has evolved into a separate field on its own. In this procedure, male pattern baldness is treated by restoring follicular hair growth in the region where hair follicles are absent on the scalp.
Surgery cost: ₹60,000 – ₹2,75,000.
- 10-14 days recovery period
- A transplanted scalp could be scabby, red, and swollen
- Post-operative pain
- Dissatisfaction with the hair transplant procedure’s result
- Surgical complications like wound dehiscence or skin necrosis or other infections
Plastic surgeries are becoming more popular than before among men. So, if you are wondering whether you are the ‘odd one’ to think of plastic surgery, well, you are not.
Read more health blogs about PAC Test.